Wednesday, November 17, 2010

30 Day Music Meme: Day Sixteen

Day 16- A song you used to love but now hate
Make no mistake, I never loved this song but I did enjoy listening to it and sometimes singing along to it. It is a great anthem to sing along to. It was featured in Scrubs when it first was brought to my attention. But then it got used as the final song in The Sopranos and suddenly it was all over the place. The song of is, of course, Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey.
It has become so overplayed these days, especially since Glee covered it in their first episode. It’s such a well loved song that when I say I don’t like it, people look at me like I’ve just said I enjoy killing puppies. It’s a great anthem but when it’s played so much on the radio, there’s only so much I can take. But I’d rather it played every hour on the radio than in a nightclub. You can not dance to it! Or jump around to it like other 80s anthems. When it’s played on a night out (and it’s nearly always played), I take it as time to go get another drink. And pray that it isn’t played a second time later on.

2 comments:

  1. And it's the anthem for the musical, "Rock of Ages"! From what I hear, "Rock of Ages" is amazing but I totally know what you mean when the song is fine in the beginning and two decades later it suddenly gets overplayed as hell. For some songs it's more than fine (I think of Madonna and Michael Jackson's old school stuff from the 80s) but others it comes off as cheesy as hell :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certain songs from years ago (like you mentioned Madonna and MJ etc) that, no matter how many times they are played, they are ageless. Then there are really good songs, like this one for example, that just all of a sudden, become THE thing in pop culture and is overplayed to death. It's a pity, as it's a good song but I HATE knowing it's going to be played every week on a night out. Occasionally would be fine, but every week is pushing it! In my eyes anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...