Thursday, November 11, 2010

30 Day Music Meme: Day Ten

Day 10- A song that makes you fall asleep

Under the right conditions, even the most energetic song will make me fall asleep. Over the past four years of travelling to and from college, I have fallen asleep to all sorts of music. I’m not sure if today’s song is supposed to be one that’s so boring it makes you fall asleep or one that genuinely lulls you into sleep. I’m going to choose the latter.

The Amélie Soundtrack by Yann Tiersen is a particularly soothing album. I especially love Soir de fête. It’s a beautiful waltz, almost in round form, with a different instrument coming in as the verse begins again and adding new texture to the verse, making it richer in sounds. It starts with bells and clapping, with the introduction of mandolins, accordions and low whistling sounds and ends beautifully with the music fading to a musical box tinkling Zip-a-dee-doo-dah (from the Disney film ‘Songs of the South’). The song reminds me of childhood, probably because of the musical box and the handclapping. It is such a relaxing and calming song, I have often listened to it, along with the rest of the album, to help empty my mind and aid me to the Land of Nod.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...