Friday, March 4, 2011

Foodie Friday: Scones

 

IMG_0199

I’ve been so busy and uninspired when it comes to blogging these days. It doesn’t help that I’ve discovered 30 Rock and any free time is spent watching that. I have loads I want to talk about but when I sit down to do it, my mind goes blank. Forgive me!

Two weeks ago I woke with an unbelievable craving for scones. Brown scones specifically. I used to eat one everyday when on work placement and nothing beats a warm scone that slightly melts butter!

IMG_0197

Scones (White and Brown)

Makes 9-12 (depending on size)

Ingredients

225g Self Raising Flour (For brown scones, use 125g Self Raising Flour and 125g Coarse Wholemeal)

150ml or so milk

Pinch Salt

25g Caster Sugar

25g Butter

1 egg, beaten

Method

1. Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 8. Sieve flour and salt into mixing bowl and stir in caster sugar.

2. Rub in butter.

3. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead to remove any cracks.

4. Roll out lightly to a thickness of 1 inch. Cut scones with a cutter dipped in flour.

5. Place on a floured baking tray and brush the scones with the beaten egg.

6. Bake for approximately 10 minutes and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.

 

IMG_0204

Tea and scones, how very Irish! Except, if I may quietly confess…… I’ve never had a cup of tea before.

4 comments:

  1. Oh they look lovely, Breige! They look warm and soft and yummy. They look similar to North American biscuits, but I'm not sure if these are like those. Richard and I had delicious round scones when we went for tea last fall, sprinkled with powdered sugar and with raisins. Totally want more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb! :) Yes, I think they are similar to NA biscuits. They are so versatile too! They are very popular here with currants. I've had cheese ones as well which are delicious. And I've seen recipes that use other dried fruit like cranberries.

    They're so simple to make too. And they are typical tea party things as well, scones with clotted cream and jam coming to mind! I know if I was organizing a tea party I'd have scones top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I loved having the cream and jam on my scones! :) I totally want to have a spring tea party now :D With petit fours desserts and tea sandwiches too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make a list of 'tea party' things I can make and have one some day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...