Saturday, April 28, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest: Day 28

Today I knew I wanted to bake. And I knew I wanted to use up the bananas I had. I have two recipes pins. The first is by The Novice Chef Blog with her Banana Dream Cake. The second is by The Lady Behind the Curtain with her Caramel Banana Cake Roll. Both look and sound so delicious but when I looked at the ingredients and the methods, I decided I didn’t have some the ingredients and didn’t fancy going to get them. So I decided to make my own cake!

DSC02999

Banana and Butterscotch Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

2 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 ripe bananas, mashed

1 cup of plain flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Butterscotch sauce (or caramel sauce)

Frosting

220g Philadephia or any cream cheese, softened

55g butter, softened

125g Icing sugar

Vanilla Essence

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). In a bowl, whisk the eggs together for about 5 minutes until frothy. Add the sugar and whisk until incorporated.

2. Add the oil and stir to mix. Add the mashed bananas and mix until smooth.

3. Sift in the flour, baking powder and baking soda in 2 or 3 step, folding in with a spatula or wooden spoon until mixed. Add to two pre-greased baking tins and bake for about 10-13 minutes, until the centre is cooked.

4. Allow to cook in to pan for 5 minutes until transferring to cool on a wire rack.

5. To make the icing, mix the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add a few drops of vanilla essence and mix in. Finally sift in the icing sugar in steps, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate.

6. To decorate, sandwich the cakes together with some icing (squeeze some butterscotch sauce on the icing before sandwiches together)  and then ice the top of the cake. Decorate with sprinkles (I used caramel flavoured ones) or some slices of dried bananas if you like. You can squeeze some more butterscotch sauce on the top if you like.

Ok, I have no pictures at the moment as I’m rushing to put this together, clean the house, finish eating dinner, get ready for the night and go out! But I will cake pictures tomorrow and edit!

The cake was yummy, not as dense as banana bread but more airy. The icing is slightly tart but it suits the cake and the butterscotch sauce as a bit of more sweetness to the cake. I'd definitely make this again!

DSC03002

DSC03005

Sprinkles close up!

DSC03013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...