Yes, the title of this post deserves an exclamation mark at the end of it, it totally does. It’s Nutella Ice Cream!! I got The Icereamists book by Matt O’Connor for Christmas and I’ve been looking for an opportunity to make it. So I decided thanks to the hot weather I’d make some homemade ice cream. I visited The Icecreamist shop when it was in Covent Garden last week and treated myself to the From Rocher With Love ice cream, which is the recipe I used. However, I couldn’t find any Ferreo Rocher so I used the next best thing: Kinder Bueno. It worked, it was just as nice!
Nutella Ice Cream with Kinder Bueno Chunks
Adapted from The Icecreamists by Matt O’Connor
250ml Full Fat Milk
125ml double cream
2 egg yolks
88g caster sugar
225g Nutella (or any hazelnut chocolate spread)
1 Kinder Bueno Bar, chopped into chunks
Edible gold balls, to decorate
1. Heat the milk and cream in a pan on gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to steam. DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
2. While the milk and cream are heating, whisk the egg yolks in a heat proof bowl until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until pale and slight fluffy. Once the milk and cream mixture is ready, pour it gradually into egg mixture, whisking continuously to prevent scrambling. Place the mixture back into the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently until the custard mixture thinly coats the back of the wooden spoon. Again, do not let boil!
3. Take off heat and add 150g Nutella to the custard and blend with stick blender. Pour the mixture back into the bowl and leave to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes. It is important that the hot mixture is not placed into the fridge straight away.
4. Once cooled, cover and place in fridge, cooling for at least 6 hours but preferably overnight. To hand churn, pour mixture into a plastic container, cover with lid and freeze for 50 minutes. Remove from freezer and beat with electric beater or stick blender. Return to freezer. Repeat this step every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours. This makes sure the ice crystals that develop are small and evenly dispersed. Large ice crystals leave a gritty, sandy mouth feel and are no desired! If you have an ice cream machine, churn according to manufacturer’s guidelines.
5. Once churning is complete, heat the remaining Nutella (75g) in a microwave for 20 seconds and fold into the ice cream along with Kinder Bueno.
6. Return to freezer with lid and freeze for another at least another 2 hours or until mixture reaches scooping texture.
7. To serve, decorate with chocolate balls and chocolate sauce. Enjoy!