Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Autumn Reading Tag

I love watching BookTube videos and enjoy the odd tag video, they are fun and sometimes good for inspiration on what to read. One BookTuber (and author) I’ve mentioned here before is Jen Campbell. Her videos are always smart and well informed. I saw her do this Autumn Reading Tag the other day and decided to give it a go myself.



Autumn Reading Tag

1. Is there any books you plan on reading over the autumn season?

Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas book 5 in the Throne of Glass series, The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch book 6 in the Rivers of London Series, Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson, Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

I try not to do specific TBRs for a month as I’ll never stick to it! But I do have a few books I’m looking forward to in the upcoming weeks. The first is Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas, book 5 in the Throne of Glass series. The there’s The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch, book 6 in the Rivers of London series (which has had loads of different release dates and I didn’t think it would be out until next year but it is this November!). Then there’s Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson, which came out 2 weeks ago. Finally there’s the latest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book called Precious and Grace by Alexander McCall Smith. I listed more books in my two 2016 Most Anticipated Reads post (part 1 and part 2) so hopefully I’ll pick those up too.


2. September brings back memories of school: what book did you most enjoy studying? And what was your favourite and least favourite subjects?

school books

The two big texts I liked studing where Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier and As You Like It by William Shakespeare. When I read The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton is reminded me of Girl with a Pearl Earring, set around the same time in the Netherlands. As You Like It is a comedy and I appreciated that we were studying a lighter text during the Leaving Cert! As for my favourite subjects they were English and Home Economics. My least favourite was probably Irish, I love the language and I use Duolingo to try up my skills but the way it’s taught in schools is dire. Needs a big overhaul.


3. October means Halloween: do you enjoy scary books and films? If so what are some of your favourites?

I’m not a big horror fan in books or films. I don’t like zombie things, slasher flicks have never really done it for me either. It’s not because I find it too scary or anything, they just have never appealed. I do want to try some more horror books though, I have a post about All Hallow’s Read which I did a few years ago (I might do an update).

scary books

As for some of the scary books I have read and enjoyed these include The Shining by Stephen King (King is key for any horror books!), Coraline by Neil Gaiman (it’s for a younger audience but it’s still creepy) and Perfume by Patrick Suskind (its been a while since I read this but I do remember the creep factor being high!)


4. For November it’s time for bonfire night and firework displays. What’s the most exciting book you’ve read that’s really kept you gripped?

thrilling books

November does not mean bonfires and fireworks for me, thanks to my Irish upbringing. But November is the perfect time to huddle down with a page turner. The most recent could-not-put-down book I read was The Trespasser by Tana French (which I reviewed here). Though all of French’s books are thrilling! Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel was a great dystopian, set after a big epidemic hits the earth. It was a bit creepy at times too which fits in great with the above question. And this time last year I read Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith. I just remember listening to before work and wishing I had more time to read it!


5. What book is your favourite cosy comfort read?

I do enjoy YA books when I want some comfort reading, they are quick to read, easily relateable and usually feel good. Some of my favourites include Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, When We Collided by Emery Lord and One by Sarah Crossan. At the moment I’m reading the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, they are great reads full of fun characters.


6. Curled up with a good book, what’s your hot drink of choice?

I don’t drink tea so I’d probably pick hot chocolate, as it’s easy to make at home. And easy to make a bit more decadent by adding marshmallows! I made this delicious gingerbread hot chocolate last year which I must try again. But if I’m out and about reading I’d probably pick a latte or mocha.


7. Any plans you’re looking forward to over next few months?

I have tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child! So that’s the biggest thing for me. I’m also looking forward to Christmas, I begin to like Christmas more and more as I get older!

And that’s the tag! The creator of the tag is Amy Jane Smith and you can check out the video here. If you’re looking for more inspiration for autumn reading check out my old All Hallow’s Read post here and my friend Chloe from Nurse Fancy Pants also did a post with her autumn reads which you can check out here. If you want more cosy autumn goodness check out my Autumn Wishlist post. And if you do the post let me know so I can look at your picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...